Tuesday, November 16, 2010

last English essay

As I’m asked for my experience learning English at the university, I decided to answer from this period of time in my life, not only describing the learning system in the place where I’m studding, because that’s a little more boring…

Since I was a little girl I always heard that “a second language is important for your future”. But I didn’t really figured out until I grown up and found that a lot of the important men and women I wanted to read, wrote in English, French or German. Besides now I’m more conscious of the possibility of living in other country some period of time. There are a lot of opportunities waiting for someone who knows more than one language to take them.

When I was a little girl I learn English singing stuffs like “cooking, cooking, everybody’s cooking…” and doing the mimic at the same time, that way we learned some verbs. After, I started to listen at the songs I liked, the television series, and films more carefully. So I get more vocabulary and get use to heard and understand English. I do the same with French, but I have less formal education on that, so is more difficult. Besides there’s less people who knows it so I have few opportunities to practice it.

Now days I’m increasing my English knowledge, but I don’t think I’m doing very well. I speak sometimes with my younger brother, and we laugh a lot, because we try to say the everyday things in a not-everyday language. He’s great in English because of where he studies. But I think I need more practice and formal instruction.

Where I study we must take obligatory English lessons, so I’m supposedly having that formal part. On the classes we listening conversations, answer questions, write and speak. But we are not an example of participation and learning enthusiasm as a class group. Maybe, the best way learn another language is in littler groups, with a confidence relation and a closed structure of sit, so we can see our faces when we are talking. I know that our teacher makes a lot of efforts giving us extra material and cheering us up to participate in classes. But there is something on the class atmosphere and on the fact of that we don’t have a lot of time to practice at home that hinder the English learning. And I’m sorry of that.

1 comment: